Come join our team! The full-time Building Maintenance position is responsible for the maintenance, security, safety and support for McWane Science Center’s personnel, guests, structures and properties. Responsibilities include adhering to the schedule of preventive maintenance necessary for optimum functioning of equipment and the facility; supporting the special event staff by set-up and take-down of tables, chairs, etc. for events and reserved lunches; assuming responsibility for shipping and receiving materials; facilitating safety and evacuation procedures; and assisting in all other departments as needed.
This position will generally be scheduled Tuesday through Saturday OR Sunday through Thursday.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in a situation requiring good judgment and the exercise of responsibility for individuals and property.
- Strong paint and drywall knowledge preferred.
- Dependable and must be able to work flexible hours including night and holidays. This position requires weekend work.
- Acceptable driving record and must possess a valid Driver License subject to annual motor vehicle reports. Must provide verification of valid minimum liability insurance as required by State law.
- Honesty and integrity
- General mechanical aptitude.
- Organized and efficient work habits.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
Minimum Physical Qualifications
- Capable of lifting moderately heavy objects (tables, desks, chairs, etc.).
- Must be able to quickly assess situations and use good judgment to react to emergencies, visitor complaints, theft, etc.
- Must be able to access any area of the museum quickly including stairs, catwalks and ladders.
- Must be able to open and close circuit breaker box, flip breakers on and off and set and reset alarms.
- Must be able to climb 8 – 10’ ladders, to dust, pull pins, manipulate various devices as well as operate an electric lifting device.
- Must be able to pull the pin on a fire extinguisher and use it effectively.
- Must be able to communicate and enunciate clearly with portable radios and Public Address system.
- Must be able to stand, walk and climb steps and be mobile for 6 – 8 hours per day.
- Must be able to use a wide variety of common hand and power tools and possess general handy-man skills.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and be able to push or pull with 75 lbs. of force.
- Must be able to manipulate cleaning machinery, buffers, vacuum cleaner, etc.
- Must be able to read and comprehend OSHA Safety Data Sheets and product labels.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
Benefits include health, dental, vision and life insurance; 403(b) retirement savings plan including company match; paid time off; free membership and movie screenings; discounts in our gift shop, camp program, IMAX theater and food service; and on-site parking.
We look forward to hearing from you!